Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

it's been one week

...since you looked at me?

No, no...since I left the USA and arrived in Northern Ireland! But your reading music for today follows suit.



Oh, the music of my childhood.

In other news, I'M IN BELFAST. This is completely unreal. Since we landed at 9AM local time (British Summer Time, or BST, for those of you keeping track) last Tuesday, it's been a mad rush around the city, meeting church leaders, sorting out all the practical information, and taking in loads of political, social, and religious history...and there's more to come, according to Doug, our site coordinator. I'll try and give you a day-by-day summary here:

Tuesday, 1 September, 2009
~8AM BST: Landed at Belfast International Airport, about an hour before we were supposed to. Amazing.
~10AM: Arrived at the Riverdale House in Dunmurry (or Derriaghy, I'm not sure exactly what district we're in), my new home. It's a 14-story housing block near the Seymour Hill housing estate, and less than 200 yards from the church where I'll spend much of my time, Kilmakee Presbyterian Church.

After this, time started to all blur together. I'll probably be able to keep days separate, though (hooray for writing things down).

Doug came by the flat and picked Rob (the flatmate) and I up for lunch at his home, a delicious meal prepared by his wife Elaine (more on her later). We saw Stormont, the Legislative Assembly building of Northern Ireland, and tried to remain conscious for as long as possible in order to stave off jet lag. This caused time to blur together EVEN MORE.

Wednesday, 2 September, 2009
Rob and I were awakened by a phone call from Doug and the other volunteers, letting us know they were all downstairs waiting for us to let them in to the building. Alarm FAIL. We started off with a prayer and short group devotion, then headed off to Lambeg to visit Harmony Hill Presbyterian and the BASE, Rob's placements, then came back to Dunmurry to visit Kilmakee Church, then back up to the flat for lunch. Then we visited the VINE Centre, where Stephen will be working, and Fortwilliam Macrory Presbyterian, Lynnea's placement. After that, I think I started recovering from the jet lag a little more...I remember much more about our other days (and I was awake enough to write things down from here on out).

Thursday, 3 September, 2009
Doug started the day by taking us to the Irish School of Ecumenics, home of some really cool graduate programs in reconciliation, and where he spends some of his time when he's not working with YAVs. I also got to start the day with what I hope will become a daily practice while I'm here, and for the rest of my life: reading from the PC(USA) daily lectionary. Thursday's passage of note was James 4:11-12 (taken here from the NRSV).

11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers and sisters. Whoever speaks evil against another or judges another, speaks evil against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.
12 There is one lawgiver and judge who is able to save and to destroy. So who, then, are you to judge your neighbor?


I think, incredibly powerful, considering the history of the political/social situation here in Northern Ireland.

We also spoke about some of the current problems facing Belfast, and the communities we live in, especially the massive displacement of folks from the city centre into 'suburban' housing estates, and the deprivation that causes within the city.

We also visited several churches and other ministries, including the 174 Trust and Glengormley Presbyterian, where Nathaniel will be working; Dundonald Methodist, Madeline's placement; and Regent Street Presbyterian and the LiNK, Amy's placement.

Friday, 4 September, 2009
We visited Sally's church, Strand Presbyterian, and the East Belfast Mission, my original placement, where Sally will be working part-time. Interestingly enough, both of her placements will be demolishing their buildings come the new year. Strange. Then we drove up to Garnerville Presbyterian, where Patricia will be serving.

The real highlight of the day was all the time we spent at Whitehouse Presbyterian Church, where Stephen will be spending most of his time. Situated in an interface district (directly between loyalist and nationalist communities), this congregation has lost its building to numerous fires, even a flood in the past years, at least once to sectarian arson. After all this, they were generous enough of what they had to serve us lunch (and a delicious one at that).

Friday night was what really blew my socks off, though. They brought us in for an Irish interpretation of an American (and Presbyterian) tradition...the BARN DANCE.

Bizarre.

The real joy here was being able to let down our hair a little bit, interact on a personal level with the folks at Whitehouse, and I was finally convinced to participate. Remarkably, I'd never done one of these things before...and I actually had a bit of fun. What a treat! Also, we played a ridiculous game, I'll try to find one of the other YAVs' videos of it for you. Essentially, it ended in our site coordinator and his wife both seriously tackling other people to win. Amazing.

And bizarre.

Saturday, 5 September, 2009
This was a long, long, long day. Very long. Doug picked us up in the morning and drove us out to Carnmoney Presbyterian, the site of a youth leader's training event, Training Trevor. I have many words for this event, if you want to know, shoot me an email or facebook message. Most importantly, I attended a session by Johnny Bell, a Belfast youth minister, on the importance of getting youth involved in decision-making in the church, to foster later leadership, develop important skills, and feel ownership in their congregations. Heavy, important stuff. I have good words for this...you can also email me for those.

By far the best part of the day was spending some spontaneous time after the conference in Downtown Belfast with the other YAVs...what a group we are, and what a city Belfast is!

Sunday, 6 September, 2009
Today, I spent the majority of the day with folk from Kilmakee Presbyterian, as well as a jaunt into the town of Dunmurry to buy groceries. They're all wonderful people, and very excited about me being here, but I was a little overwhelmed by the day as a whole...it's still all very new.

I did really enjoy being the subject of several interrogations, including the location of Virginia, my thoughts on the color blue, and where I most want to visit in Ireland while I'm here (it's Carrickfergus Castle and Slane Castle, by the way).

Monday, 7 September, 2009
Much more quality time with the YAVs, as well as some interesting lessons on PCI history and the political history of Northern Ireland. We also got to spend some time shopping around the city centre, where Madeline and Amy bought fabulous hats.

Tuesday, 8 September, 2009
Finally, today was a day full of stories...of each other, of Doug, and of the YAV program in Northern Ireland. There's a rich history here just in that small group. We led each other in a lectionary this morning I'd like to share with you all, one meant to help quiet the soul in a time of trouble. This is just the first wee bit of it.

You keep us waiting
You, the God of all time
want us to wait
for the right time in which to discover
who we are, where we must go,
who will be with us, and what we must do.
So, thank you - for the waiting time.


We've been waiting for a while for this - some of us in the group a lot longer than others - and it's starting. Tomorrow, we head out into our placements, seizing the day. Then we keep waiting. But God is with us, as are your prayers and support. And we have each other, too.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. You're face is bizarre. God bless you son. I'll visit you once I get settled down in med-school. Until then I fully expect you to prepare some awsome Presberterian shenanigans for my triumphant arrival. Stay safe, do good good work, and live for the greater glory of God.

    In Christ,
    Avid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy-- How wonderful to hear about your first week in Ireland!! What great things you have already done and will continue to be doing over the year that lies ahead!! You remain in our hearts and prayers, and we look forward to hearing more about your Irish adventure!! (And, can I just say how it makes me smile to see that the wonderful little Irish word "wee" has already crept into your vocabulary??!!) Carry on, cute boy, and God be with you!!
    Love from us all!!
    --'Mama Irby'

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part was the video at the beginning!! Just kidding . . . sounds like you are already having a fabulous time! Miss you, bff!

    ~Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, so, first, i thought that video was absolutely hysterical. don't judge.

    second, maybe i'll try the veggie thing too. then we can be weirdly connected by diet.

    thirdly, i miss you and it sounds like great and wonderful things are going to be happening where you are. i'm praying for you. i know God's going to use you in some big ways.


    also, i get to talk to you in a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails